Monday, October 20, 2008

On the hard

Hey,
We finally moved Wind-Borne from the water on to dry land across the creek at Sailcraft today. It’s really nice getting a chance to take a really good look at her underside to see what were up for work wise. We will be living aboard here in the yard for the next 3 weeks. People are really nice here too, so it seems like a great place to be!
After we got her set up on Jack stands in the yard we set up a really cool elevator for Skippy. It’s made out of an extra large plastic tote and we pull him up using pulleys attached to the boom, then pull him in & set it down in the cockpit. He got in the first time and just looked at us like “it’s about time. Lift me up! ”He just sat there looking around at the scenery as we hauled him up & wasn’t in a hurry to get out of it either. I think this is what he’s been wanting his whole life! Soo funny! We’ll put a picture of it on tomorrow!
We started right in working on the boat as soon as we got Skippy’s elevator situation figured out (and after a latte break) of course.:) Ben went to work down on the bottom looking at the cutlass bearing and scraping barnacles. He didn’t have the right tools for the job & a neighbor saw him & without asking just brought him over the correct tools and some advice. Later someone brought him a container of a new product that cut his barnacle work down quite a bit. I can’t even tell you how many guys came over within a few hours just to say that they were available to help if we needed a few extra hands or tools, or advice, or anything. I’m overwhelmed by how helpful & great everyone is here. It’s so nice! It’s like we are all old friends, but I’ve never met most of these people.
I went to work scraping all the teak on the topsides. I’m getting rid of the old yellowing varnish & re doing it. I’m really excited, but it’s a huge job! I got a heat gun & it’s helping tremendously! I just blast it for a few seconds & the varnish bubbles right up & scrapes right off!! There will be lots of touch up sanding, but I like working with wood & Wind-Borne will shine when I’m done! After I finish stripping all the varnish from the teak I will strip the varnish from the fiberglass inside and out. I still can’t believe the previous owner! It makes me laugh every time I look at all the drips and brush marks! The man painted whole lamps and laminate countertops, and cleats, and everything else you can imagine!! I think it may have looked better had he not varnished anything at all!!
We are feeling pretty ambitious right now since this is our first sailboat & we’re so happy with it!! I’m ordering my new sewing machine tomorrow & have plans to reupholster the settee. All the fabric in the boat is aqua right now. Lots of aqua! Ben likes it…but I think I want something a little more neutral. Not to mention the last owner let things get a little moldy around here & I had to throw out the old couch pillows, because they had black splotches all over them. I think that automatically calls for a reupholster job regardless of color. He was French though…. not sure if that has anything to do with the dirty state of the boat when we got it, but we’ve heard stories :)
All in all we are feeling really happy about Wind-Borne & our choice to purchase her! I’m looking forward to almost all my chores & it’s nice to have a set list to complete. I’ll have to admit that I don’t envy Ben & his chores though. He’s got the dirty jobs involving toilets & such. He’s so nice not making me do that one! (Although I’m assuming I’ll have to help)
We’ll try to keep you updated on life in the boatyard & adventures of fixing our boat.
We miss family a lot & wish we could see you more! Skippy misses you guys also! We think of you a lot!
Keep in touch!!!!
Xoxoxo Kristen
I’ll put pictures up tomorrow!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristen and Ben... and Skippy
I love to read your blog and I love the picts of Skippy in the bucket. Dale and i had a nice time down in Oriental and wish you two all the best.
Dale and Erika